Are you looking at designing a custom metal art project that requires some fancy fabrication? This task is likely to be far more complicated than just manufacturing a standard metal part. You will need to make some extremely detailed and precise measurements, and carefully decide which procedures will provide you with the results you are looking for.
One of the procedures you might decide to use for your custom metal art project is sandblasting. This is the process of propelling extremely small material particles at a very high rate of speed to either etch or clean a surface. There are many types of granular materials you can use for the process (not always just sand), and each has its own unique advantages and properties when used on different types of metals.
Here are a few of the biggest benefits associated with the sandblasting process, as described by our metal fabricators in Phoenix, AZ:
- Removal of harmful substances: Sandblasting is an outstanding method to remove rust, oil and mill scale, all of which can easily form on the surface of steel parts that have recently been manufactured. You do not want your custom metal art to begin rusting before it’s even displayed.
- Reusable: The substance you use in the sandblasting process can be reused multiple times, which makes it a relatively inexpensive process for getting the most out of the appearance of your metal.
- Quicker process: If you choose to manually clean the metal surface you have been working on, it can take quite a long time to get the job done, and cost you a lot of elbow grease. Sandblasting, however, greatly speeds up this process and requires significantly less effort on your part.
- Removal of contaminants: In addition to rusts and mill scale, various surface contaminants such as dirt and oil spots can form on the surface of your metal just by virtue of you working on your custom metal art in a dirty shop environment. Sandblasting gets rid of these contaminants easily, even when they are located in particularly hard-to-reach places that would be quite difficult to access when cleaning by hand.
- Paint removal: If you need to remove old paint from the surface of the metal before you apply a brand new coat, sandblasting is a highly effective means of doing that!
- Numerous options: There is a near-limitless amount of options you have for the type of substance to be used in the sandblasting process. Some of these options are biodegradable, such as walnut shells. Others are specially manufactured specifically for the purpose of sandblasting, such as steel grit. The choice you make depends on your personal needs and the type of result you are looking for out of the job.
Sandblasting should always be performed in a dry environment, and you should always wear the proper safety equipment when performing the process. Metal Pro Inc. is prepared to help you with your next project—for more information, contact our team of metal fabricators in Phoenix, AZ today.