So, you’ve finally installed that beautiful wood deck you’ve always wanted, or have recently completed a full home deck restoration project. Everything looks great, but there’s just one more important deck component that’s needed: stairway railings. When weighing your options, keep in mind that the railings on your deck are there for both safety and aesthetic purposes. Take wooden building materials, for instance. You might like how wood railings blend in with the rest of the deck, but it might seem a bit rickety compared to most metal options.
Are you considering opting for metal, but don’t know where to start? Here are five tips from a machine shop in Phoenix, AZ to help you choose metal stairway railings that will make your deck pop:
- Metal adds variation: While you might lean more toward matching wood railings for your deck, you must stop and think how that will look. Wood flooring, wood posts, wood paneling, wood cover, wood stairs—that’s a lot of wood! To avoid your wood deck meshing into one giant block, break it up by adding a metal stairway or stair railings, or at least add a few small metal components.
- Use metal here and there: You don’t have to install a full metal stairway, or even have metal railings completely surrounding your deck. Deciding on only metal for your stairway railing is a simple way to mix up decking materials without it being too much. And not only do metal railings have excellent curb appeal, but they also do a fantastic job of opening up your deck, while still providing safety and support.
- Choose metal for easy maintenance: When properly powder coated or painted, metal accents, like stair railings and post caps, are weather resistant and easy to clean. With metal, you won’t have to worry about wear and tear that can lead to splintering or discoloration, like you would with wood. And unlike wood, metal does not require re-sanding or re-staining every few years.
- Match metal to your home: If you have a more modern style house, then you will want your deck to match it. A bulky looking, all wood deck is probably not going to complement your style of home, yet include some metal accents to the deck, and it may work after all. Order customized metal stair railings that match metal accents already on the outside of your house, such as designs on the front door, rain gutters or fencing.
- Add more detail: Expanding on the idea of matching metal deck components to metal around your property, know that metal is shapeable. That is, you are not stuck with just straight railings. Metal can be formed into shapes and designs like curves, squares, circles, bends and twists. Furthermore, metal edges on railings can be curved to prevent injuries.
If you are interested in finding out more about metal railings for your residential or commercial deck, the best place to start is by visiting your local metal fabrication machine shop in Phoenix, AZ. Contact the skilled team at Metal Pro Inc. to start designing customized metal railings for the deck stairway today!